Here is my financial situation, as of May 2015.
- Cash : $4,000. This includes my living expenses for this month, and short-term savings for scheduled living expenses this year (sinking fund).
- Emergency Fund : $7,100. In a savings account. Ideally, it should be at least $12,000, but my down payment fund can totally double as an EF as long as I’m not buying a home.
- Down Payment fund : $11,500. Part of it is in my Roth IRA, which I maxed out for the year, and the rest in a classic savings account.
- Retirement savings : $50,800 in my 401(k).
- Other Assets : $0. Well, I do have a (paid off) car, which I think is worth ~ $10,000, but I don’t consider it an asset any more than, say, my computer or my couch.
- Debt : $0. No credit card balance, no car loan, nothing.
Net worth as of 04/30/2015 : $76,606.
Overall, given that I’m already 40, this seems pretty bleak. When it comes to savings and assets, I have nothing to say in my own defense. When it comes to retirement savings, keep in mind I’ve only been in the US for 3 years and a few months, so that’s not so bad after all. Right ?